Saturday, May 28, 2011

*~Namibia - Part 4 - Henties Bay and Swakopmund~*

Once we left the Spitzkoppe, we headed off to Henties Bay. This was about a 2 hour drive. On arrival in Henties Bay, I was surprised to see that the entire town consisted of salt roads. The condition of the roads is quite amazing (surprisingly good), however, I was shocked to see that some guy had a Golf GTI, which is just insanity because most of the roads around the town are either salt or dust roads...


Checking the view of the beach by '4x4'ing' on the beach in Henties :) 

We stayed over in Henties for 2 evenings by a self-catering flat with a stunning view of the ocean. Once we were settled in, we headed for the Spar and bought a few groceries. We spent the evening braaing by friends who have a holiday house in Henties. The following morning we left for a day in Swakopmund. On the way, we passed a town called: Wlotzkasbaken which reminded me a 'tornado' town. Each house is spread out quite far away from the other and each have their own water tank. It's quite strange to see...


Wlotzkasbaken - a few km outside of Swakopmund

Swakopmund is stunning. I was never sure what to expect, but I expected a lot less than what I saw :) We headed to Dare Dunes for the quad biking. It was truly an amazing experience. At first I was a bit nervous as I had never driven a quad bike before, but I soon got used to the feeling. We drove over the gigantic sand dunes and went along the 'rollarcoaster', as the tour guide called it. I felt like Aladdin on a magic carpet ride :) The view was amazing and we were really in the middle of the desert (or so it felt). All I could see was sand and more sand. This is where the 'quad-bug' bit me ;)


The four of us in our quadbiking gear :)


The most amazing view!


Sand, sand and more sand!

Once we finished the quad biking adventure, we went for lunch at Brauhouse for some very yummy food... When we finished lunch, we headed for the craft market. We then went to the sand dunes where we went sand boarding. This was a first for me, and my first ride down was quite painful. I came screaming down (literally and figuratively), and at the bottom, ended off with a 360 degree spin (on the board). It was really funny. I only went once more after that, because the only negative part about it (except for an entire sand castle in your eyes, ears and mouth), is the walk up the dune. I definitely got my fair share of exercise that afternoon ;)


Kylan (the pro) flying down the dune! Unfortunately I don't have a pic of me :(

After a fun-filled day, we returned to Henties, where we started packing up and got ready for our next destination...

No comments:

Post a Comment