Tuesday, April 19, 2011

THE BLACK PEARL*

So ever since I 'moved' to Cape Town to study, I have been 'teased' about my hometown, Paarl. However, this has not upset me, because I know what a special town it is... It's my home, my real home.

I moved to Paarl at the age of one, so have spent my entire life growing up there. Paarl is a small town situated in the Western Cape, approximately 60km from Cape Town. It is surrounded by the most beautiful mountains which are filled with widespread greenery in the form of farms... I was fortunate enough to have had the best of both worlds. When we moved to Paarl, my dad bought a farm and there I spent 10 years growing up amongst the greenery of a variety fruit trees and some wild life... Living the dream life any kid would want - lots of space to play and go absolutely CRAZY! :p We then moved to town and have been living there ever since.

People may joke and say it's such a small town and that nothing goes on there, but if you have lived there for your entire life, you would know that it truly is a black pearl. It is such a unique town, filled with so much character. Paarl is filled with friendly and outgoing people, always wanting to start a conversation or joke of some sort - just to make you smile. If a crisis strikes the town, each person is willing to help where they can. So everybody may know everybody's business, but it wouldn't be the same if no one cared.

Besides the community, Paarl is filled with exciting things to do... There are a variety of wine farms and restaurants which are always buzzing. The Paarl Mountain Nature Reserve is the perfect location for all the mountain biking extremists, hiking fanatics, picnic lovers and of course the outdoor live concerts which take place throughout the year. To me, just being able to wake up to the beautiful scenery every morning is enough to make me never want to be any place else. It's the perfect place to breath in the freshest air and escape from the crazy city life...

Even though Cape Town has stolen a piece of my heart, Paarl will always be my true home, where I feel the love the most.

The Black Pearl and its town :)


I bet you didn't know this...Paarl:
- is the third-oldest town in South Africa.
- is named after the great granite rocks that loom above the town (which looks like a pearl).
- has the longest main road in South Africa - 12km
- is famous for having the world's second largest rock outcrops.
- hosted a match from the ICC Cricket World Cup 2003.
- has the only monument in the world dedicated to language (Afrikaans) - Afrikaanse Taalmonument.












The Afrikaanse Taalmonument.






Afrikaanse Taalmonument overlooking Paarl.





Need I say more? The picture speaks for itself... :)


Xxx

1 comment:

  1. Guess Paarl does exist after all! I think we should show this to Bang and have a competition.. :)

    ReplyDelete